Beware of canned food soups: the cans in which they are contained are coated, in fact, with a chemical compound, bisphenol A (bpa) which can seep into the food, and therefore end up in the body, with possible health risks. This problem was brought to light by a study conducted on 75 volunteers, published in the “Jornal of the American Medical Association”
In fact, the research showed that bisphenol A was rapidly ingested and was found in large quantities in the urine of the people examined. In Europe this compound has been banned from baby bottles, but is still used in cans to prevent rust and keep food fresh. As well as it can be contained in soft drink bottles and cans.
“We knew that drinks stored in hard plastic bottles – explains Jenny Carwile, coordinator of the study – could increase the amount of BPA in the body, but now we have shown that even canned food contains it, and this raises more concerns, given its wide use “.
In the study, the researchers asked the volunteers, divided into two groups, to eat one fresh vegetable soup and one canned vegetable once a day for five days. After a weekend off, the groups reversed. Tests conducted on their urine found the presence of BPA in 77% of samples after eating fresh soups and in 100% of those taken after eating canned soups.
Eating a canned soup a day increases the amount of bisphenol by as much as 20 times. The average concentration detected was 1.1 micro grams / L after eating the fresh soup compared to 20.8 micro grams / L for the canned one.